I know one of my biggest pet peeves is not having a pen around when I need one or having to search really hard in my bag for one. Here's the solution: a journal pen holder! You just simply wrap it around the cover of your book and you'll have something to write with wherever you go! Many journals are similar in size so this accessory can easily be reused. Below, I have two variations you can make.
What you will need:
- Sturdy fabric (I used twill)
- Your journal/book
Length: the length of your book + an additional 3cm / 1" (ex. my book was 18cm so I cut out a length of 21cm)
Width: 8cm / 3 1/4"
Additionally, cut out another rectangular piece that is 8cm by 8cm / 3 1/8" by 3 1/8"
6. Put your pens in, wrap the elastic around the cover of your book and voila, you're done!
7. Basically, repeat all the steps above except you need to cut out an extra piece of fabric for the small pocket. Cut out a rectangle that is 12cm by 6cm / 4 3/4" by 2 3/8". Fold it in half so that the longer of the two dimensions gets halved (becomes 6cm by 6cm / 2 3/8" by 2 3/8") with right sides touching; sew the fold down.
8. For the pocket, sew it down after you have completed step 5 from before. Place the pocket piece so that it starts at the very bottom of the rectangular strip. Tuck in the ends of the pocket piece until it matches up with the edge of the long piece (EDIT: it originally said to have the fabric stick out but I realized having it aligned is better). Sew only the bottom edge and the two side edges to the rectangular strip.
- Stick the pens into the separator and the pocket
- Only stick the pen into the separator and use the pocket to store sticky notes, paper clips, etc
- Only stick the pen into the pocket without the separator
The versatility of this accessory is that it can also double as a bookmark or an elastic to hold your journal shut!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! :)
This post was sponsored by Tiny Prints