Baby Mobile Project

April 02, 2021


I've recently been dabbling into baby DIYs because I became an Aunt! The great thing with baby DIYs is that it requires less material so I finally found a way to use up some of my old scrap fabric pieces. For this mobile, I decided on a forest theme. It consists of 1 crescent moon, 4 stars, 3 clouds, 3 mountains, 2 leaves, and 4 trees.

Materials:
- 12" wooden hoop - $4
- Beige yarn - $2
- Fabric scraps
- Polyester stuffing - leftovers at home
- Mobile arm - $20

A rough estimate of materials I needed to purchase for this project was $6 for the actual mobile. If including the mobile arm purchased to hang the mobile from a crib, the total cost of the project was $26.

I free-handed each shape so I don't have any patterns to share. I drew and cut out the shapes from paper, traced them onto the fabric, sewed the outline of the shape with a small opening, flipped the piece inside out, stuffed each with polyester stuffing, and hand-sewed the opening closed.

To assemble the mobile, I used a large needle with the yarn and strung each piece through the middle. Because the yarn was thick, I didn't need to tie a knot under each piece except for the bottom ones. I wrapped the yarn around the hoop a couple of times and tied all 5 strings together to create a loop in the center to hang.

For some of the pieces, I had extra details put in:
- Leaf: I used green thread and sewed in the veins on each side of the fabric
- Mountain: I used white fabric on top of the grey fabric to create the snowy peak. I then used a zig-zag stitch with a wider width and shorter length to finish the bottom edge of the snow.



You Might Also Like

0 comments